VISIT ‘BILL VIOLA / MICHELANGELO: LIFE DEATH REBIRTH’ AT THE ROYAL ACADEMY AND DINE AT BRASSERIE ZÉDEL
Enjoy our 3-course Formule Menu for lunch and a ticket to 'Bill Viola / Michelangelo: Life Death Rebirth' at the Royal Academy, for £34.
From 26th January until 31st March, the Royal Academy's 'next blockbuster' brings together two artists - born centuries apart - who explore the same universal themes via works of transcendent beauty and raw emotional power.
In contrast to the scale and grandeur of his frescoes and sculptures, Michelangelo's exquisite drawings take the viewer closer to the emotional core of his work. Finished works in their own right, they were created as gifts and expressions of love, or as private and meditative reflections on his own mortality. In 2006, pioneering video artist, Bill Viola, saw a collection of the drawings and cites these works as a source of major inspiration. Although created in a radically different medium, Viola's own works also grapple with life's fundamental questions, asking us to consider the thresholds between birth, life and death.
This exhibition explores the affinities between Bill Viola and Michelangelo, and is conceived as an immersive journey through the cycle of life. You'll see a selection of Michelangelo's most poignant works and from Viola, 12 major installations spanning his entire career.
Book in person at Brasserie Zédel or call us on 020 7734 4888, quoting 'Bill Viola'.
Terms & Conditions:
- This offer includes: an exhibition ticket plus Brasserie Zédel's Menu Formule (3 courses with a glass of wine and water). Service charge is not included.
- Valid for lunch bookings only (11.30am - 4.30pm) from 26th January until 31st March 2019.
- Lunch bookings must be made in advance.
- The offer is not exchangeable against other menu items and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers or vouchers.
- The exhibition tickets are valid for the 'Bill Viola/Michelangelo: Life Death Rebirth' exhibition only. Valid at any time between 26th January until 31st March 2019 during the Royal Academy's opening hours. Opening times of the RA: Saturday-Thursday 10am - 6pm, Friday 10am - 10pm. Please check the website for exceptional closing times.
Michelangelo Buonarroti, The Risen Christ, c. 1532-3
Black chalk on paper, 37.2 x 22.1 cm
Royal Collection Trust / © Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2019,www.rct.uk
Exhibition organised by the Royal Academy of Arts, London in partnership with Royal Collection Trust and with the collaboration of Bill Viola Studio.